This sandwich is the perfect balance of sweet and smoky with a crusty texture.
I don’t order food for lunch when I am at work. Most of my colleagues order food from the cafeteria in our building every day. The food is decent, but the prices are way too high. It’s hard to justify spending $10 on lunch when I could make it better at home. It’s not that I am a better chef than others, but I do know what ingredients I use and can control the amount of fat and salt.
My coworker had ordered an egg salad sandwich at this cafe a few weeks ago, and it was so good. Since then, this egg salad has been on my mind. Instead of spending a fortune at the restaurant to get this sandwich, I made it myself and added bacon and avocado.
Yes, I made a BLT with plenty of applewood, smoked butter, bacon, fresh avo, and Dijon mustard egg dressing. This sandwich was still light and satisfying, even with the bacon. Half a sandwich is a good serving size. Jason had one and a half sandwiches. I thought he had eaten too much, but he kept saying it was the best sandwich ever. So I made more for him.
Start with some applewood smoked baccy (I buy mine at Trader Joe’s) and place four pieces on a hot pan to get them crispy.
Mix them with mayo, Dijon mustard, and red wine vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Applewood smoked bacon, four slices
- Four large eggs
- Two tablespoons mayonnaise
- Red wine vinegar, one tablespoon
- Dijon Mustard 2 Tbsp
- To taste, add Kosher Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- Four pieces of wheat bread toasted
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- Mato 1: thinly sliced
- Avocado, halved, seeds removed, peeled, and thinly sliced
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for 6-8 minutes until crispy and brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels; set aside.
- Cover the eggs with 1 inch of cold water in a large pan. Bring to a rolling boil and simmer for one minute. Cover the eggs with a lid that fits snugly and remove them from heat. Set aside for 8-10 minutes. Drain and cool the eggs before peeling or dicing.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash eggs roughly with Dijon mustard, Dijon wine vinegar, and mayonnaise. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sandwiches on wheat bread can be served with avocado, tomato, spinach, bacon, and egg salad.