Making these hot dog bites with kids or adults is a lot of fun!
This week, for #SundaySupper, we will be inviting the entire family, and especially the children, to the table. Cooking with kids is beneficial because it encourages teamwork and creativity and increases the child’s desire to try new foods. This week, I’m bringing you threaded hot dog bites. This super easy dish can be a lot of fun to make with your kids, nieces/nephews, or even a date. Slice your favorite sausage into thin slices and then thread about 5-7 spaghetti strings onto each piece. You can cook your spaghetti in just 15 minutes by putting them in a pot with boiling water. You can use them to make a super-easy homemade Alfredo sauce, marinara, or pesto. Not only are they fun to make, but also to eat! You can eat the sausages by simply sticking a fork in one. How cool is that?
Start with the marinara by adding some garlic thinly sliced into a pot coated with olive oil.
We’ll now thread the spaghetti. First, let’s get some spaghetti. Take your favorite sausage (I recommend the smoked andouille from Trader Joe’s), and cut it to the desired thickness.
Then, we will take the spaghetti noodles and break them into half. Thread 5-7 noodles through each sausage slice. The kids can now poke the sausages with the spaghetti noodles. Not only was it fun for the kids, but I also had a great time!
We’ll now throw it into a pot with boiling salted water and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- 8 ounces spaghetti, broken in half
- One 12.8-ounce package of sliced andouille chicken sausage
FOR THE MARINARA SAUCE
- Olive oil one tablespoon
- Eight cloves of garlic thinly sliced
- Fresh basil leaves, 1/4 cup of chiffonade
- Two 28-ounce cans of crushed tomatoes
- One teaspoon of salt
- Two teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
- Over low heat, warm olive oil in a big pot. Add the garlic, and cook for about 3 minutes until it turns golden. Add the tomatoes and basil.
- Stir occasionally while simmering the sauce. It should take about 40-45 mins. Stir in the vinegar.
- Each sausage slice can be adorned with 5-7 spaghetti strands.
- Cook pasta in a large pot with salted boiling water according to the package directions. Drain well.
- Serve with marinara immediately.