Short Rib Ragu? Short Rib Ragu?
I am a pillowy-gnocchi-loving-pasta-eater, that’s who.
Carbs rule my life, and I am currently craving short rib ragu.
Did you know short ribs ragu takes pasta to another level? It was tangy and saucy at the same but also tender and luscious. It was a brand-new experience for me.
Ragu is made fast and easy (thanks to Instant Pot)
I was initially intimidated to make short ribs ragu because of my lack of meat cooking experience. Then I remembered that we used to make this dish at our dinner club years ago. I also remembered how delicious it was when served with homemade Gnocchi. I then got brave because of a) the Instant Pot and b) my food motivation.
Today’s menu includes short ribs with a shortcut, Instant Pot, and RAGU.
First, you’ll need ingredients.
This recipe is a great example of a quick and easy recipe. It also contains surprisingly few ingredients.
- Short ribs
- Garlic + Onion
- Red Wine
- Jarred spaghetti sauce
How to Make Short Rib Ragu
Start with the short ribs. To get the short ribs nicely browned, we’re going to use the Instant Pot’s saute feature.
Then, something magical happens.
Right? You add some garlic and onions, then start incorporating the browned bits into your sauce. Oh, my goodness!
What is Ragu?
Ragu is an Italian sauce made from meat, usually veal, beef, or lamb. It can also be made with fish, poultry, or pork.
This recipe is a little different from the classic ragu because it’s made in the Instant Pot, which makes it possible to do on a busy weeknight.
Ragu alla Bolognese is another variation. It is a meat sauce that uses less tomatoes and more white wine than traditional ragu.
What to serve with this Short Rib Ragu
This sauce is great on a variety of pasta, including pappardelle, Gnocchi, or freshly made Gnocchi. It would also work with polenta or rice. You can also add ricotta or parmesan to any of the above dishes. YUM.
This Simple green salad is one of my favorites for sides. It provides a perfect bite of freshness to balance out the comforting ragu and the carbs.
- 2 pounds short ribs with bone in (or boneless 1 lb)
- One tablespoon of Vegetable oil
- 1 Small Businesses The following are some examples of the use of onion, Finely diced
- 2 Cloves You can also find out more about the following:
- 1/4 Dry red wine
- One can find out more about this by clicking here. 25 Jars of -oz store-bought marinara/spaghetti sauce (I use DeLallo tomato basil sauce)
- 1/2 Water
- Half a teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed red pepper
- salt & pepper, Taste
- One lb. pasta. You can also find out more about Gnocchi
- Prepare: Switch the instant pot to saute mode. Trim any excess fat off the short ribs and pat them dry with a towel while it is heating up. Season the meat generously with salt and black pepper.
- Add oil to the Instant Pot to brown the short ribs. Add the short ribs to hot oil and brown on all sides. The meat doesn’t need to be fully cooked. The heart only needs to be browned. Remove from pot.
- Onions and garlic: Remove any excess oil using tongs and paper towels. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for about 3 minutes. Scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Pour in wine to deglaze . Cook for 2 minutes.
- When it’s time to go, Add the short ribs and tomato sauce, along with salt and crushed pepper. Add 1/2 cup of Water to the pot after rinsing out the sauce jar. Set Instant Pot on the stew/meat setting (35 minutes). Let it sit for about 30 minutes to allow the steam to escape.
- Finish off: Remove the meat onto a sheet pan. Remove any bones or large pieces of fat and shred the meat into bite-sized pieces. Set the Instant Pot back to sauté to reduce/thicken the sauce. Remove any excess fat from the sauce, then add back the meat. Add salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
- Serve: Overcooked pasta or Gnocchi. Yum!